Please select a wishlist you wish to add selected product(s) to:
Clamshell Garden QuiltProject #13868
An antique quilt comes to life with a most modern appeal! For a contrast of colors and an economical use of fabric in 10" squares, this quilt delivers the dynamic details.
Sizzix Die(s) Used658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658330-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658677-Sizzix Bigz Pro Die - Clamshell, 9 1/2" Unfinished
|(30) 10" Squares||Large floral prints||Cut (30) Clamshells|
|2 1/2 yd||Light green||Cut (42) Clamshells|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (6) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|3 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 1 1/2 yd pieces|
|50" x 60"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 45" x 54"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
- When cutting Clamshells from yardage, alternate the direction of the die to get the most Clamshells with the least waste.
Piecing the Quilt:
- On the wrong side of the fabric, mark each of the Clamshells with a dot at the center of each piece. Also mark the seam intersections at each corner. These will make the piecing easier.
- Start with one green and one floral Clamshell and piece one side as shown in Diagram 1.
- Piece from the center dot on 1 to the seam intersection. DO NOT sew to the edges of the pieces.
- Keep adding alternate green and floral Clamshells until there are six green and five floral. See Diagram 2.
- After completing step 4, add the next row of six green Clamshells.
- Continue adding alternate rows of green and floral Clamshells until you have seven rows of green and six rows of floral Clamshells.
- Press the entire quilt top.
- Square off the quilt by cutting 1/4" away from floral Clamshells around the outside edge.
- Sew the two 1 1/2 yd pieces of the backing fabric together to make a backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- Sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.