Keep yourself in stitches with this sharp-looking Needle Case & Sewing Pouch. It has all sorts of personalization possibilities and because you made it with Sizzix you know the shapes are cut perfectly every time!
Please select a wishlist you wish to add selected product(s) to:
You will need about three pieces of cardstock to use for the patterns for English paper-piecing.
|1/2 yd||Orange print||Cut (25) 1" Hexagons|
Cut (2) 7 1/2" x 8 1/2" Rectangles
|Fat 1/8||Blue print||Cut (18) 1" Hexagons|
|Fat 1/8||Brown print||Cut (12) 1" Hexagons|
|10" x 10"||Multi-colored print||Cut (6) 1" Hexagons|
|1 package||Fusible adhesive||Cut into 1/4" Strips|
|Fat 1/4||Brown wool|
|1||8" or larger plastic zipper|
|1||Temporary glue for fabric|
|61||3/4" Hexagons cut from cardstock|
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- English paper-piecing basic instructions: With the wrong side of a 1" fabric Hexagon facing up, place a 3/4" cardstock Hexagon inside, centering the cardstock. Turn the 1/4" of fabric around the outside edge over the cardstock and tack in place at each corner. Whipstitch the finished Hexagons together with the cardstock left inside.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
Making the Kit Cover:
- Using the English paper-piecing method above, prepare all 61 fabric Hexagons.
- Using the photograph as a guide, start in the center of the piece with an orange print Hexagon. Add the multi-colored print around the outside of the center orange Hexagon. Work from the wrong side of the Hexagons and use a whipstitch to sew them together. You will have to bend the cardstock to make it easier to sew.
- Continue adding Hexagons around the center: brown, then blue and finally orange. Leave the cardstock in place for now.
- Using the manufacturer's instructions, adhere the fusible adhesive 1/4" strips around the outside edge of the cover (on the turned-over edge of the fabric).
- Carefully remove all the cardstock from the Hexagons. Place the cover, wrong side down, on the wool. Heat fuse in place.
- Trim the felt about 1/8" away from the fabric edge.
- Edge stitch around the entire cover.
- Fold the cover in half, press. Stitch on the fold line to make it easier to close the kit.
Making the Storage Pocket:
- Take the 7 1/2" x 8 1/2" orange print Rectangle and fold in half so it measures 7 1/2" x 4 1/4". Press. Repeat with the second Rectangle.
- On a table, lay out the zipper. Place the folded edge of one of the rectangles about 1/8" from the zipper teeth. Make sure the top of the zipper is about 1/2" from the raw edge of the fabric. Glue in place. Repeat with the second Rectangle on the other side of the zipper.
- Sew the zipper in place by stitching on the fabric, about 1/8" away from the folded edge.
- Use a tight zigzag stitch and sew across the bottom of the zipper about 1/8" to 1/4" from the fabric edge (in the fabric). Cut off the excess zipper.
- Unzip the zipper halfway. Fold the two pieces of fabric together so the zipper pull is in the inside. Sew a 1/4" seam around the raw edges to complete the storage pocket.
- Turn right-side-out and press.
- Whipstitch the storage pocket to the stitched fold line on the wool side of the cover.
- Add the snap on each side, and your sewing kit is ready to fill.