Hello everyone! A new month and I (Anna-Karin) have a tutorial to share with you, for a sweet clay pot and a basket filled with flowers, which you can almost smell.
Eileen Hull's ScoreBoards dies and Susan Tierney-Cockburn's Susan's Garden dies are a perfect match. Eileen's 3-D designs work great as a base for dimensional homemade flowers. Here I used the new Picket Fence 3-D Basket and 3-D Clay Pot. Two fun and easy Distress Paint techniques were used to colour the basket and pot and the flowers were watercoloured with Distress Inks. Give these as a gift or make them to yourself, then you will always have fresh flowers around.
Start by die cutting the Basket and Clay Pot from white or cream mat board. The pieces to the left are for the basket and those to the right for the pot.
Pounce Weathered Wood Distress Paint on the pot, creating a mottled pattern. This paint looks almost like cement or stone. Leave the flaps unpainted since that usually makes them easier to adhere.
When the paint is dry, ink the edges first with Pumice Stone and then with Black Soot. The ink will be more visible in the areas that don't have any paint.
Stamp the pots with a Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz crackle stamp, using Archival Ink Jet Black or Stazon Jet Black.
Paint the basket with Rusty Hinge, using the dabber top. Apply the paint with a very light touch to get a streaky look.
When the orange paint is dry, do the same with Frayed Burlap, going from side to side instead of from top to bottom to create the look of a woven basket.
Emboss the two basket sides in the Basket Weave folder. Don't emboss the inside box piece since that will make it harder to adhere.
Ink the edges with Walnut Stain, using an ink-blending tool.
Use a strong adhesive to assemble the pot and the basket, I used Wonder Tape. I also added two tiny staples to the basket. A small polystyrene ball was cut in half and glued to the bottom of both containers. To cover the polystyrene, I used kraft glassine paper in the pot, crumbling it up real good. It sort of looks like soil. I wanted something green and fluffy for the basket and dyed cheesecloth with Peeled Paint Distress Stain. The bird was stamped and die cut with the Sizzix/Hampton Art Wings set.
It is easy to make pretty flowers with Susan's Garden dies. For the basic techniques, check out this and this video by Susan. In my Birdhouse tutorial I inked the flowers with Distress Ink. Today, I wanted to show you a different way of colouring them, using watercolour techniques. I used Distress Inks, but you can get the same or similar results with other water media (watercolours, gelato, dye spray ink applied with a paint brush, etc.). For the leaves, I smeared Mowed Lawn and Peeled Paint on my craft sheet, misted with water and pressed watercolour paper into the ink. Repeat on the other side.
I used both textured (NOT, cold-pressed, to the left) and smooth (hot pressed, to the right) watercolour paper, but you can use other types of paper too, as long as it is relatively heavy and can handle a certain amount of water. I used smooth paper for the Lilies and textured paper for the Daisies.
I went online and had a look at different kinds of Lilies. I used both the Lily Flower and the Mini Lily Flower. For the tutorial, I'll just show the larger version, since it is easier to photograph. Also check out Susan's video about the Lily dies. Smear Worn Lipstick and Picked Raspberry on your craft sheet, and mist once with water. Working one petal at a time, first paint with clean water, then pick up Worn Lipstick and paint, but not all the way to the edge. The clean water gives the ink a nice fuzzy edge. Pick up Picked Raspberry and paint a line in the centre.
When the ink is dry, add dots with a Barn Door marker.
Line, shape, pinch and bend the petals, using the great Susan's Garden Tool Kit. Line, pinch and bend the leaves and colour the top of the stamen with the Barn Door marker. You'll see these techniques better in Susan's video.
It is a good idea to leave the flower in a flower pot to let the glue set, then it keeps its shape better. I used Flower Soft High Tack Aleene's PVA glue. The tops of the stamen were covered with red Flower Soft.
I made a yellow-orange large Lily too, and six small Lilies. Die cut some extra leaves, to fill up the area around the flowers in the pot.
I twisted floral wire and attached to the back of each flower with hot glue. The wire stems were pressed into the polystyrene adding some hot glue to make sure they were stuck. The stems of the small flowers were just glued to the kraft glassine soil. I tucked in extra leaves here and there and also used them to cover up any glue.
I wanted to fill the basket with Daisies and used the Mini Daisy Flower to die cut petals from textured watercolour paper. The white ones were die cut from white paper and painted with yellow ink at the base only. For the pink and yellow flowers, I coloured the paper first, the same way as with the leaves, using Squeezed Lemonade and Tattered Rose inks. When the paper was dry, the petals were die cut and a darker shade of ink was sponged at the base (Wild Honey and Victorian Velvet). The petals and leaves were lined, shaped and pinched. You can see Susan's video about this flower here.
Glue the petals to the calyx and add a pool of glue in the centre, sprinkle with yellow Flower Soft.
The handle was covered with natural sticky-back canvas on one side, and lace trim on the top. Glue the cheesecloth inside the pot and adhere the handle. Glue flowers into the basket, and add one at the base and one on the handle.
Thank you so much for looking at this tutorial! I hope you enjoyed it!