Robbing Peter to Pay Paul Table Runner
A little from here. Some from over there. This cool contemporary pattern borrows from itself to create a kaleidoscope of creativity whose fabulous parts are equal to its brilliant whole.
Artist: Cheryl Adam, Guest Quilter
Theme: Quilting & Appliqué
|3/4 yd||Purple Print||Qty 18- 657631 block centers|
Qty 72- 657631 outside 1/2 football shaped pieces
|3/4 yd||White Print||Qty 18- 657631 block centers|
Qty 60- 657631 outside 1/2 football shaped pieces
|1/2 yd||Solid white||Qty 1- 10 3/4" x 29 1/2"|
|10" square||Purple monotone||Qty 2- 657630 bottle*|
Qty 2- 656660 1" circles*
|10" square||Purple monotone #2||Qty 2- 657630 bottle*|
Qty 2- 656660 1" circles*
|10" square||Green monotone||Qty 4- 656668 large slim leaves*|
Qty 4- 1/4" x approx. 6" for stems*
|3/4 yd||Yellow monotone||Qty 4- 656333 2 1/4" circles*|
Qty 3- 657632 1" strips cut into:
qty 2- 1" x 11 3/4"
qty 2- 1" x 29 1/2"
Qty 4- Desired width by WOF for binding
|3/4 yd||Backing fabric||Qty 2- 27" x 22"|
|25" x 50"||Batting|
|1/2 yd||Heat 'n' Bond Fusible Adhesive|
- Finished Size: 19 1/4" x 45 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
- * = fabric is pre-fused with fusible adhesive before cutting
Assembling the center
- Use the photo as a guide, arrange two bottles, stems, leaves, 2 1/4" circles and 1" circles on each end of the white 10 3/4" x 29 1/2" fabric.
- Following manufacturing directions, fuse in place.
- Sew the 1" x 29 1/2" pieces of yellow to the long sides of the center. Press.
- Sew the 1" x 11 3/4" pieces of yellow to the top and bottom. Press.
Piecing the block
- Take a block center (of one color) and a 1/2 football shaped (of the second color). With right sides together, line up the inside curve of one piece with the outside curve of the other. Match the center notch, pin. Match the two outside edges and pin. You might want to place some extra pins along the rest of the curve to make it easier to ease the pieces together. Carefully sew the seam together making sure the pieces remain aligned along the outside edge. Press the seam towards the piece with the outside curve. Repeat 3 more times around the center to complete the block.
- Make 18 blocks with purple print centers and white print around the outside and 18 blocks with white print centers and purple print around the outside.
- Using the photo as a guide, sew two sets of 8 blocks together for the long sides of the runner. Alternate the two blocks. Press.
- Sew a row of 8 blocks to each of the long sides of the center. Press.
- Using the photo as a guide, sew four sets of 5 blocks together for the top and bottom of the runner. Alternate the two blocks. Two of the rows will start and end with a purple center block and the other two with a white center. Press.
- Again, using the photo as a guide, sew two rows of 5 blocks together. Press. Repeat.
- Sew the pieces made in step 6 to the top and bottom of the center. Press.
- Sew the two- 27" x 22" pieces of the backing fabric together to make a backing 22" x 54".
- Layer the backing, batting, and top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired. Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press. Sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the table runner. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the table runner and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.