|1/2 yd||Dog print||Cut (18) 5" Squares|
|1/2 yd||Red||Cut (17) 5" Squares|
|4" Strip x WOF||Fire hydrants print||Cut (14) pairs of 3" Half-Square Triangles|
|4" x 10"||Paws print||Cut (4) pairs of 3" Half-Square Triangles|
|1/4 yd||Black||Cut (4) 1 1/2" wide Strips|
|1/4 yd||White print||Cut (4) 1 1/2" wide Strips|
|1/4 yd||Red||Cut (4) 1 1/2" wide Strips|
|1/2 yd||Bones print||Cut (4) 3 1/2" wide Strips|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips|
|38" x 49"||Backing fabric|
|36" x 40"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 34" x 42 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Layered Blocks:
- Place a pair of fire hydrants Half-Square Triangles (HST) in opposing corners of a 5" red Square and sew in place. Repeat to form seven more layered blocks.
- Place a fire hydrants HST and a paws HST in opposing corners of a 5" red Square and sew in place. Repeat to form three more layered blocks.
- Place pair of fire hydrants HSTs in adjacent corners of a 5" red Square and sew in place. Repeat to form three more layered blocks.
- Place a paws HST in each corner of a 5" red Square and sew in place to form a square in a square.
Assembling the Quilt:
- Using the quilt image as a guide, lay out the 5" dog print Squares and layered blocks, 5 across by 7 down, paying special attention to the placement of the layered squares. Tip and turn the layered blocks to achieve the overall diamond pattern.
- Sew 5 blocks together to form a row. Press. Repeat to form 6 more rows.
- Sew the 7 rows together to form the quilt center. Press.
- Sew the 1 1/2" black border Strips to the sides of the quilt center first, then sew the top and bottom border Strips. Sew the 1 1/2" white and red border Strips to the quilt in the same manner.
- Sew the 3 1/2" bones print border Strips to the sides of the quilt first, then sew the top and bottom border Strips.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.