Baby Animals Quilt
Cute critters are always welcome! Using your fabric and fusible adhesive, you can make quilts with your favorite creatures featured. Just remember to keep the paper on the shape until after it has been die-cut with your Sizzix Big Shot or fabi machine.
|6" x 12"||Green wool||Cut (1) Teddy Bear*|
Cut (1) Reindeer*
|6" x 6"||Purple wool||Cut (1) Hen*|
|6" x 30"||White wool||Cut (2) Lambs*|
Cut (1) Polar Bear*
Cut (1) Teddy Bear*
Cut (1) Reindeer*
|6" x 12"||Blue wool||Cut (1) Lamb*|
Cut (1) Hen*
|6" x 12"||Red wool||Cut (2) Hummingbirds*|
|1/4 yd||Orange flannel||Cut (3) 8 1/2" Squares|
|1/4 yd||Turquoise flannel||Cut (3) 8 1/2" Squares|
|1/4 yd||Red flannel||Cut (3) 8 1/2" Squares|
|1/4 yd||Lime flannel||Cut (3) 8 1/2" Squares|
|1 yd||Pink check flannel||Cut (9) 3" wide Strips x WOF|
Sub-cut (2) Strips into (8) 3" x 8 1/2" Strips
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|1 1/2 yd||Backing fabric|
|40" x 50"||Batting|
|Assorted embroidery floss|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 34" x 44"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt:
- Place an Animal on top of a contrasting 8 1/2" Square. When satisfied with the placement, heat fuse in place with an iron and stitch around shapes as desired. Repeat to make 11 more Animal blocks.
- Using the quilt image as a guide, lay out the Animal blocks 3 across by 4 down, leaving room between blocks for sashing.
- Alternate sewing three Animal blocks with two vertical 3" x 8 1/2" sashing strips to form a horizontal row. Make four rows.
- Measure the length of each horizontal row. Add those measurements together and divide by four. Use this measurement to cut the length of the three 3" horizontal sashing rows. Sew the sashing rows in place. Press.
- Measure the quilt from the top to the bottom in several locations. Add those measurements together and divide by the number of measurements taken. Cut two 3" wide border strips to this length and sew to the sides of the quilt. You may need to sew two strips together before cutting the length. Press.
- Measure the quilt from side to side in several locations. Add those measurements together and divide by the number of measurements taken. Cut two 3" wide border strips to this length and sew to the top and bottom of the quilt. Press.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.