Full Melon Double Wedding Ring Quilt
Piece together the prettiest possibilities! This beautiful project brings together all the elements of style and classic design with a colorful identity of its own.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|(14) Fat 1/4||Assorted prints||Cut (24) DWR Full Melon pieces|
|1 yd||Linen||Cut (9) DWR Curved Background pieces|
|3/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (9) 2" wide Strips at a 45 angle (on the bias)|
|1 1/3 yd||Backing fabric|
|48" x 48"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 42" x 42"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- Cutting your binding pieces on the bias (diagonal) grain adds enough stretch to go around the curved edges with ease.
Piecing the Quilt:
- Sew a Melon piece to a background piece. Alignment tip: fold pieces in half and finger press the centers. Pin centers together. Ends of background piece should extend 1/4" beyond the side points of full melon pieces. See Diagram 1.
- Sew Melons to background pieces (as shown in Diagram 2), to form curved rows.
- Sew rows together. To help with these long curved seams, place pins to matching seams and finger-pressed centers.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Trim backing and batting even with top of quilt, following curved edge.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long continuous strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- Sew the binding to the right side of the quilt, matching raw edges of the binding to the quilt edge. Follow the curves, clipping and pivoting at corners and being careful not to stretch the binding as you sew. Fold binding over the edge of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2