Woven Strips Placemat
Turn the ordinary into the extraordinary! With Sizzix quilting dies as your building blocks of creativity, you can create a masterpiece like this or anything else you can imagine!
|2/3 yd||Ivory with white dots print||Cut (2) 13 1/2" x 19 1/2" rectangles|
|1/8 yd||Coral with navy print||Cut (3) 1/2" wide Strips* x WOF|
|1/8 yd||Small navy print||Cut (3) 1/2" wide Strips* x WOF|
|1/8 yd||Large navy print||Cut (2) 1/2" wide Strips* x WOF|
|1/8 yd||Cream with navy print||Cut (2) 1/2" wide Strips* x WOF|
|1/8 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|14" x 20"||Batting|
|1 yd||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 13" x 19"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- WOF = width of fabric
Assembling the Project:
- Use one 13 1/2" x 19 1/2" rectangle for the front of the placemat and one for the back. Set back aside for now.
- Place five 1/2" Strips horizontally and five 1/2" Strips vertically as shown in picture on the placemat.
- Starting at the bottom right corner, weave the horizontal and vertical Strips together.
- Heat fuse the Strips in place.
- Edgestitch each 1/2" Strip.
- Layer the backing, batting and placemat top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold the binding in half lengthwise, with wrong sides together, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the placemat. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the placemat and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.