Rocking the House QuiltProject #16070
So many colors, so many combinations! This charming pattern beautifully blends color with the subtle appearance of motion.
Products Used660533-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/4" Wide 660922-Sizzix Bigz XL Die - Rocking the House, 8" Assembled
|3 yd total||Assorted light prints||Cut (196) Rocking the House "house" shapes|
|2 3/4 yd total||Assorted dark prints||Cut (9) Rocking the House squares|
Cut (36) Rocking the House triangles
Cut (128) Rocking the House "house" shapes
|3 1/2 yd||Gray-and-white striped fabric||Cut (72) Rocking the House squares|
Cut (288) Rocking the House triangles
|3/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (8) 2 1/4" wide Strips x WOF|
|4 1/2 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 2 1/4 yd pieces|
|78" x 78"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 72" x 72"
- This quilt uses a single block with three different looks, depending on the placement of light and dark fabrics. Each block requires four triangles, four house shapes and one square.
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- Construct the center blocks by sewing two dark triangles to opposite sides of a light House shape (see Diagram 1). Press seams toward dark triangles. Repeat with another house shape to make two of these units (see Diagram 2).
- Sew two light House shapes to opposite sides of a dark square (see Diagram 3). Press the seams toward the dark square.
- Sew the units together to form the block, matching seams and placing a pin at these intersections (see Diagram 4). Make nine center blocks. Note: This quilt uses a single block with three different looks, depending on the placement of light and dark fabrics. Each block requires four triangles, four House shapes and one square.
- Construct the light blocks using gray-and-white striped squares and triangles and light House shapes. Repeat the block construction steps 1 through 3 (see Diagram 5). Make 40 light blocks.
- Construct the border blocks using gray-and-white striped squares and triangles and dark House shapes. Repeat the block construction steps 1 through 3 (see Diagram 6). Make 32 border blocks.
- Arrange blocks using quilt photo as a guide. Sew blocks together, matching seams and placing a pin at each intersection to increase accuracy.
- Sew the two 2 1/4 yd pieces of the backing fabric together along the selvedge edge to make the backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half lengthwise, with wrong sides together, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.