Orange Petal Pillow
Bloom with the beautiful. This versatile Half Oval shape can create a pillow, the scalloped edge of a quilt or puzzle pieces (when used with a 10" Square).
|3 yd||Orange solid||Cut (2) 20" Circles|
Cut (128) Half-Ovals
|1 package||Polyester fiberfill|
|1 package||Covered button kit to make (2) 2 1/2" buttons|
- Finished Size: 19" x 19"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
Piecing the Project:
- Place a pair of Half-Ovals right sides together, lining up the curved edges and sew together along the curved edge to form a petal. Leave the flat side open. Turn right side out. Repeat 63 times.
- Chain stitch three rows of 13 Half-Ovals together on raw straight edge using a gathering stitch.
- Chain stitch one row of 10 Half-Ovals together on raw straight edge using a gathering stitch.
- Chain stitch one row of 8 Half-Ovals together on raw straight edge using a gathering stitch.
- Chain stitch one row of 7 Half-Ovals together on raw straight edge using a gathering stitch.
- Use one 20" circle for the front of the pillow and one for the back. Set aside the back for now.
- On the right side of the pillow front, make a mark 4" from outside edge all the way around.
- Place the gathered edge of the first row of 13 Half-Ovals on the 4" mark. Adjust gathers to fit. Topstitch in place.
- Mark 1" from the edge of the first row.
- Place second row of 13 Half-Ovals on marking. Adjust gathers to fit. Topstitch in place.
- Continue marking, gathering and topstitching the next four rows.
- Layer the batting and pillow top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Layer the pillow top and pillow back, right side together. Pin and sew with seam allowance, leaving an opening approximately 6" long to insert pillow form.
- Clip excess fabric in the corners on the diagonal. Turn right side out, insert the pillow form and whipstitch closed.