Tumbling Blocks Quilt
Bring another dimension to your quilts! Highlighted by a fantastic design and high-contrast fabrics, this quilt comes alive with a vibrant look to accentuate any bed or wall.
|(7) Fat 1/4||Medium gray prints||Cut (48) Diamonds|
|(7) Fat 1/4||Black prints||Cut (48) Diamonds|
|(7) Fat 1/4||Green prints||Cut (47) Diamonds|
|(5) 5" x 8"||Gold and coral prints||Cut (5) Diamonds|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|3 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 1 1/2 yd pieces|
|52" x 54"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 45" x 47"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Tumbling Block Quilt:
- In each of the corners of a Diamond, mark the point where the 1/4" seams intersect. Do this for 38 each of black and gray, 33 of the green, and the five gold/coral print Diamonds.
- Sew a gray, black, and green or gold/coral Diamond together as shown in the picture below to make one of the blocks. Sew the seams only to the markings made in step 1 and not to the edge of the piece. Make 38 of the blocks (33 with green and 5 with gold/coral Diamonds). Do not press until the top is complete.
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, lay out all the pieces on a design wall and rearrange until satisfied with the look of the quilt. The extra Diamonds will be used around the outside edges.
- Sew the blocks together to make the quilt top. The easiest way to do this is to sew the blocks into rows and then sew the rows into the quilt. Sew each section together from marked intersection to marked intersection. It will take time to sew this quilt together, as there will be lots of starting and stopping on short seams.
- When the top is complete, press the entire top. Trim the edges 1/4" outside where the Diamonds intersect.
- Sew the two 1 1/2-yd pieces of backing fabric together along the selvage edge to make the backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half lengthwise with wrong sides together and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.