Flower Penny Rug
What a simple, but striking, idea! This Penny Rug is a great accessory for any room, and it's so easy to create with Sizzix Bigz dies! Just follow the instructions below.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|Fat 1/8||Eggplant wool||Cut (2) Penny Rug Mat, three scallops|
|3 1/2" x 3 1/2"||Blue wool||Cut (2) small Tongues|
|3 1/2" x 3 1/2"||Orange wool||Cut (2) small Tongues|
|3 1/2" x 3 1/2"||Green wool||Cut (2) small Tongues|
|2 1/2" x 4 1/2"||Red wool||Cut (7) 1" Circles|
|Scraps||Assorted wool||Cut (7) 3/4" Circles|
|Scraps||Assorted wool||Cut (6) 3/8" Circles|
|2 1/2" x 6"||Dark green wool||Cut (3) small Leaves|
|4" x 4"||Dark pink wool||Cut (1) large Flower|
|3" x 3"||Bright blue wool||Cut (1) daisy Flower|
- Finished Size: 4 3/4" x 11 1/2"
- Use painter's tape to tape off three scallops on the die before cutting. Trim the long edge if needed.
- Unless indicated otherwise, all stitching is with one strand of embroidery floss.
Assembling the Project:
- On one runner piece, lay the Tongues on the scallops so that there is one of each color on each side. Hold shapes in place with glue baste. Whipstitch with gold floss.
- Layer the red Circles and colored Circles on top of the Tongues. Star stitch gold floss. Go through all layers. The edges of the red circle are not stitched down. Finish with a French knot in the center.
- Center the large pink Flower and three Leaves in the middle of the runner.
- With two strands of gold floss, back stitch to through the center of the Leaves.
- With two strands of gold floss, make a French knot close to the edge of the pink Flower to anchor.
- Lay the bright blue daisy Flower on top of the pink Flower. Stitch down the center of each petal with a running stitch and gold floss.
- Lay the remaining red and colored Circles over the blue Flower. Star stitch with gold floss, going through all of the layers. Make a French knot in the center.
- Stagger the smallest circles around the Flower and Leaves. Stitch in place with a star stitch and gold floss.
- Place the top and back together. Blanket stitch with two strands of eggplant floss around all edges.