Nordic Christmas Wall Hanging
Traditional or whimsical? When you can't decide, it's great to have stylish Sizzix dies that lend themselves to many applications. Here they captures the holidays with classic embellishments complementing a wonderful winter-inspired layout.
|1 1/2 yd||Background and backing fabric||Cut (2) 20" x 32" rectangles|
|9" x 16"||White wool||Cut (3) birds*|
Cut (3) rams*
|3" x 6"||Light blue wool||Cut (3) ram horns*|
|12" x 16"||Green print||Hand-cut (1) big tree*|
|1/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (3) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|26" x 38"||Batting|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
|1 spool||Black embroidery floss|
|1||Large jingle bell|
|3||Small jingle bells|
|30"||Light blue yarn|
- Finished Size: 20" x 32"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
Assembling the Project:
- Place the tree on the background. Heat fuse in place with an iron. Stitch around the shapes as desired.
- Place the birds above the tree on the background. Heat fuse in place with an iron. Stitch around the shapes as desired.
- Place the rams and horns below the tree on the background. Heat fuse in place with an iron. Stitch around shapes as desired.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Embellish the birds' and rams' eyes with black embroidery floss.
- Embellish the bottom of the white birds' wings with white beads.
- Embellish the tree with silver beads.
- Sew the large jingle bell to the top of the tree.
- String small jingle bells on yarns and sew as collars to rams' necks.