Penguins Wall Hanging
Here they come to warm up your winter! There's snow better subject matter for a holiday quilt than these adorable appliqué Penguins made with Sizzix dies.
|Fat 1/4||White and blue print||Cut (20) Half-Square Triangles|
|Fat 1/4||Blue print||Cut (20) Half-Square Triangles|
|Fat 1/4||White and back print||Cut (1) 9 1/2" x 15 1/2" rectangle for the background|
|Fat 1/8||Black and white dot||Cut (5) Penguins*|
|6" x 6"||Yellow print||Cut (13) stars*|
|Fat 1/8||White cuddle fabric||Cut (5) bellies*|
|5" x 5"||Orange solid||Cut (5) beaks*|
Cut (6) feet*
|1/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|1/2 yd||Backing fabric|
|24" x 30"||Batting|
|1/2 yd||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 15" x 21"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 22"
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Pillowcase:
- Pair one white and blue print Half-Square Triangle with one blue print Half-Square Triangle, and sew along the diagonal seam to form a square. Press the seams toward the darker color. Repeat until all Half-Square Triangles are sewn together to form square blocks
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, sew three square blocks together to form a side border segment. Be sure the prints are placed in the same corner in all blocks. Press. Repeat to form the other side border.
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, sew seven square blocks together to form the top border segments. Be sure the prints are placed in the same corner in all blocks. Press. Repeat to form the bottom border segment.
- Sew the Half-Square Triangle segments to the sides of the quilt top first.
- Sew the top and bottom of the quilt top.
- Place the Penguins and stars on the background. When satisfied with the arrangement, heat fuse in place with an iron. Stitch around the shapes as desired.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt, and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.