Floating Star Wall Hanging
Give your wall hangings the star treatment! This innovative pattern and use of colors are sure to inspire any style with the perfect die-cuts made with Sizzix Quilting & Appliqué dies.
|(18) Fat 1/4||Assorted colors||Cut (18) diamonds|
Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x 15"
|(3) Fat 1/4||Various white prints||Cut (6) half-hexagons|
|Cardstock||Cut (18) diamonds|
Cut (6) half-hexagons
|Fat 1/4||Background and backing fabric||Cut (2) 11" squares|
|14" x 14"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 12 1/2" x 12 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 22"
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- For each shape, thread baste the fabric to the cardstock, and fold over the 1/4" seam allowance.
- With right sides together, whipstitch the short edge of one half-hexagon to the edge of another half-hexagon. Continue, adding the remaining four half-hexagons in the same manner to create a ring.
- With right sides together, whipstitch the three triangles together in the configuration as shown in Diagram 1.
- With right sides together, whipstitch the three triangles to the center of two connected half-hexagons as shown in Diagram 2.
- Continue around the half-hexagon ring until a star is created.
- Position the finished star onto the background. Machine or hand appliqué into place, removing the cardstock as you go.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew the binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2