Perspective Butterfly Card
The latest from Tim Holtz dies, we have created this butterfly card inspiration.
Other Supplies: Acrylic Paint (Lilac, Lime Green, Turquoise), Artist’s Sponge, Craft Mat Gilding Wax (Bronze), Ink Pad (Black), Paper Trimmer, Ranger Distress Ink Pad by Tim Holtz (Vintage Photo), Scissors, Stamp Block, Stamp (Calligraphy Style Design), Water Spritzer
- Apply an adhesive sheet to one side of a 6" x 6" panel of black cardstock. Die-cut out of the black cardstock the Perspective Butterfly die. Use a die brush and die pick to clean out all of the detailed pieces from the die.
- Cut a 4" x 11 1/2" panel of black cardstock. Adhere the die-cut butterfly to the black panel at an angle. Trim away any excess that hangs over the edge of the panel.
- Apply a small amount of lilac, lime green and turquoise acrylic paint to a craft mat. Spray the artist’s sponge once with water and squeeze out any excess water (the sponge should be almost dry). Take a small amount of one color on the sponge and lightly drag the color down the full length of the layered butterfly panel in one direction. Repeat this process with the other colors. There is no need to wash the sponge in between mixing colors. Ensure the black cardstock below is still showing through in some areas.
- When the paint is dry, apply bronze gilding wax to the raised butterfly element. Lightly apply wax to a finger, remove the excess on a scrap piece of paper and then lightly apply the wax to the desired areas. Keep applying light coverings until the desired effect is achieved.
- Lightly stamp a calligraphy design with black ink to the painted surface area where desired. Ensure the writing is all moving in the same direction.
- Fold a piece of ivory cardstock in half to create a card base. With the Blending Tool, ink the edges of the card front with Vintage Photo ink.
- Center and adhere the painted panel to the card front with liquid adhesive.
- Print or stamp a sentiment on ivory cardstock and cut to a rectangle shape around the sentiment. With the Blending Tool, apply Vintage Photo ink to the edge of the rectangle and then lightly stamp the calligraphy design in the same ink above the printed or stamped sentiment. Cut a black rectangle to fit behind the sentiment, with a small border showing around the ivory cardstock. Adhere the two elements together with liquid adhesive. Adhere the sentiment to the card front where desired with foam tape.