Hello everyone! It’s Anna-Karin here today with a quick and super fun project. The leaves are slowly starting to change color outside my window and the kaleidoscope of autumn colors amazes me every year. Today, I am sharing two gift bags, perfect for autumn gift giving, and they can easily be customized to fit any season or theme. The techniques also work great for cardmaking, tags, scrapbooking layouts and other types of projects. I used Sizzix dies by Tim Holtz for the project.
I like having a stash of homemade gift bags at home, ready for when I need one. These cute little bags made with Tim Holtz Treat Bag set, work great for small gifts, sweets, or you could add a card or a gift card inside them. The assembled bags are 2.5 x 3.3 in and were decorated with the new Funky Foliage, Skeleton Leaves and Autumn Sidekick Side-Order sets.
- Sizzix® Big Shot™ Machine (#660425)
- Sizzix Thinlits™ Die Set 44PK - Treat Bag by Tim Holtz® (#663096)
- Sizzix Sidekick® Side-Order Set™ – Autumn by Tim Holtz (#663071)
- Sizzix Thinlits Die Set - Funky Foliage by Tim Holtz (#663087)
- Sizzix Thinlits Die Set - Skeleton Leaves by Tim Holtz (#663094)
- Sizzix Accessory - Cutting Pads, Standard, 1 Pair (Purple w/Silver Glitter) (#662142)
- Sizzix Accessory - Chrome Precision Base Plate for Intricate Thinlits Dies (#660470)
- Sizzix Accessory - Mini Tool Kit (#663035)
- Sizzix Accessory - Multipurpose Platform, Standard (#655091)
- Sizzix Accessory - Standard Magnetic Platform for Wafer-Thin Dies (#656499)
- Sizzix Foam Adhesive Sheets - 4" x 6", Assorted, 6 Sheets (#663042)
- Sizzix Foil Adhesive Sheets - 6" x 6", Assorted, 8 Sheets (#662126)
- Sizzix Paper Leather Sheets – Assorted Basics (#661149)
- Distress® Ink (Antique Linen, Broken China, Candied Apple, Forest Moss, Frayed Burlap, Ground Espresso, Mustard Seed, Peeled Paint, Rusty Hinge, Spiced Marmalade, Wilted Violet) by Tim Holtz
- Ideo-logy® Chat Chat Stickers by Tim Holtz
The Treat Bags are die-cut from brown Paper Leather, which is very durable and strong, making it the perfect match for gift bags. If you want a different color, use white Paper Leather instead and color it with inks or paint. See my previous Autumn Gift Holder Card for inspiration. Die-cut the Treat Bag using this sandwich: Magnetic Platform, Cutting Pad, Paper Leather, die facing down, second Cutting Pad. The Gift Bag set contains letters, numbers and shapes that you can add to the design when die-cutting the bag. I used a heart and a star.
Fold along the scorelines.
It is easy to assemble the bags. Use a strong adhesive along the side flap and then just tuck the flaps at the bottom in as shown. You can add a bit of glue, but I didn’t.
I love skeleton leaves and the Skeleton Leaves Set is fantastic. Look at all that wonderful detail. I die-cut my leaves from old book paper. It is a good idea to use the Chrome Precision Base Plate for Intricate Thinlits Dies, which ensures precise die-cutting.
One of the bags was decorated using the Autumn Side-Order set (the die-cuts shown to the left here), and one was decorated with dies from the Funky Foliage set (the die-cuts to the right). Die-cut them from cream or white paper, using this sandwich: Multipurpose Platform Tab 2, Cutting Pad, paper, die facing down, second Cutting Pad.
Ink the die-cut pieces with various colors Distress Ink and an ink-blending tool.
Glue the shapes together with Matte Medium or another glue. Aren’t these adorable? And you can make them in so many different combinations and colors.
If you want to, you can ink the edges of the bags slightly and then have fun decorating your gift bags. I am not sure which bag is my favorite.
The mushrooms are really adorable. They were adhered with foam adhesive, using two layers for the blue mushroom to create dimension. I cut small pieces of foam adhesive with a pair of scissors.
The pumpkin bag would be perfect for a little Thanksgiving gift with its cute pumpkins, the metallic sentiment and the little acorn. The pumpkins were adhered with foam adhesive, using two layers for the pumpkin at the front.
Thank you so much for looking at this project! I hope it inspired you to make some gift bags and/or do some autumn projects.