Colorful Glitter Card Backgrounds
Hi everyone, it's Alexis from the Creative Team! I hope you are all keeping safe and well. Today I wanted to share some creative glitter techniques using our new Biodegradable Glitters from the 2020 Chapter 1 release. The vibrancy of these glitter colors is truly spectacular and I have loved getting to work with them...which says a lot for a girl who isn't normally a big fan of glitter! Let's take a look below to see two different ways you can use these glitters in your next card making project.
What you will need:
- Sizzix® Big Shot® Machine (660200)
- Sizzix® Bigz™ XL Alphabet Die - Chunky Alphabet (664385)
- Sizzix® Framelits® Die Set 8PK - Circles, Scallop (657552)
- Sizzix® Thinlits® Die Set 17PK- Bold Flora (664397)
- Sizzix® Thinlits® Die Set 45PK - Elle Lowercase (664375)
- Sizzix™ Accessory - Glue Gun (663550)
- Sizzix™ Accessory - Glue Gun Sticks, 8", Clear, 20PK (663065)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential - Adhesive Sheets, 6"x 6", Permanent, 10 Sheets (656802)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential - Biodegradable Fine Glitter, 12g (Variety of Colors)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential - Express Glue (664576)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential - Foam Tape (663709)
- Sizzix™ Making Essential - Sequins & Beads, 5PK (Variety of Colors)
- Sizzix Surfacez™ - Cardstock, 8 1/4" x 11 5/8", 20 Assorted Colors, 80 Sheets (663007)
- Sizzix Surfacez™ - The Opulent Cardstock Pack, 8" x 11 1/2", Ivory, 50 Sheets (664535)
- Cardstock (White)
- Paper Trimmer
How to make:
Die-Cut Glitter Background
- Cut and fold a desired card base size from white cardstock. Adhere an adhesive sheet to one side of another sheet of white cardstock. Die-cut from the adhesive-backed cardstock a variety of flowers from the Bold Flora die set. In a pattern of choice, adhere the flowers, adhesive-backing face up, to the front of the cardstock with liquid adhesive.
2. Remove the release sheet backing from a few select flowers and apply a glitter color of choice to the adhesive flowers. Burnish the glitter into the adhesive until no excess glitter drops from the flowers. (*Note: Ballet Slipper Glitter was used in the photo above.)
3. Remove the release sheet backing from several more flowers of choice. Cover each one with another glitter color of choice and repeat the same burnishing technique as the previous step. (*Note: Bluebell glitter was used in the photo above.)
4. Remove the final release sheet backings and cover the remaining flowers in a third glitter color of choice. Burnish the glitter into the final flowers. (*Note: Lemoncello glitter was used in the photo above.)
5. In the center of each flower, hot glue a variety of beads from their matching shade of Sequins & Beads. Die-cut out of chosen cardstock colors, two nested scalloped circles and out of vellum a smaller nested scalloped circle. Stack and adhere the two largest scalloped circles together with foam tape. Die-cut out of white cardstock the sentiment "HI" three times from the Chunky Alphabet Bigz Die. Adhere the three letters together to create a dimensional sentiment and adhere it to the center of the vellum scalloped circle. Adhere the vellum to the top of the other stacked scalloped circles with liquid adhesive.
Radial Glitter Background
- Cut and fold a desired card base from white cardstock. Cut an adhesive sheet sized to fit perfectly the front of the card. Remove the release sheet backing.
2. Cut a triangular or geometric shape into the release sheet. Center the point cut into the sheet with the center of the card front and lay the release sheet down on top of the sticky card front. Apply a glitter color of choice to the opening in the release sheet. Remove the excess glitter and burnish the remainder into the adhesive. Remove the release sheet from the sticky card front and reposition the edge to align with the edge of the area just glittered. (*Note: This technique can also be achieved by masking off the desired design with washi tape. Then apply Express Glue to the open part of the mask, add glitter into the glue and let each section dry on the card front.)
3. With the release sheet perfectly aligned along the edge of the previous glitter color, apply a new glitter color of choice and repeat the same burnishing technique as the previous step. Repeat this process around the entirety of the card, alternating colors, until the entire card front has a perfect radial glitter design.
4. Die-cut out of vellum a large scalloped circle, out of cardstock a smaller nested circle and out of white glitter cardstock the next smallest circle. Adhere the vellum circle to the center of the radial design with liquid adhesive. Adhere the next two scalloped circles with foam tape. Die-cut out of a chosen cardstock color the sentiment "miss you" from the Elle Lowercase die set. Adhere the sentiment to the top circle with liquid adhesive. Adhere a few sequins and beads to the card front with hot glue.
I hope you love these colorful techniques! I would love to hear all the ways you like to use glitter in the comments below!
Until next time...Happy Crafting!