It’s time for football again! It’s Melanie from Sizzix Quilting and I’m back with another fun tutorial. I love the camaraderie, the spirit and the thrill that a football game can give you. Whether you are at home or in the stands, this project is just perfect!
- Sizzix® Big Shot™ Plus Machine
- Sizzix Bigz™ Die - Leaves, Plain #2 (#658105)
- Sizzix Bigz Die - Lollipop™ Shadow Capital Letters Set (4 Dies) (#657892)
- Sizzix Bigz Die - Square, 3" Finished (3 1/2" Unfinished) (#657608)
- Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 3 1/2" Wide (#657898)
- Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide (#658328)
- Batting Fabric
- Embroidery Floss (Cream, Brown)
- Fabric (Brown, Cream, Green)
- Glue Stick
With the Plain Leaves Die, I was able to quickly die-cut 12 brown felt footballs and then quickly stitch the laces onto the ball with embroidery floss, which even if you’re not on your “game,” can be done during the game!
Once my footballs were ready, I went and assembled the green background, while everything was still flat. Using the 3 1/2" square and the 3 1/2” strip, I die-cut 12 of the 3 1/2" squares and one of the 3 1/2" strip and assembled six squares across in two rows with the strip in the middle.
When it came to stitching the footballs onto their green background, I chose to rotate the footballs along the sets of squares while keeping the seam allowance on the outer edge in mind.
I used the attached footballs to help me with the placement of the letters that I used along the middle strip. I chose to spell out “Game Day!” using the Lollipop Shadow Letter Set.
Once all the letters were attached, I quilted a little bit here and there across the piece just to secure everything down, and then added binding.
I had so much fun making this project…it was a “touchdown” from the start! I can’t wait to see what phrases you choose to use for your own football project!