Mini quilts are all the rage in quilting right now. I believe it has something to do with all the mini quilt swaps going around. I myself love them because I can test out an idea or technique without having to make an entire huge quilt.
Today's tutorial will show more about the layout of the mini quilt and not as much about the assembly of each block. I did write about curved seams last month if you are curious about that technique.
To start, I roughly cut out 6" blocks of each fabric I was going to use. If you would like to duplicate this exact quilt, I cut out 2 dark pink, 2 medium pink, 4 light pink, 8 grey crosshatch and 4 light grey.
The Rose Dream die I used for the Drunkard's Path blocks requires that I use the Big Shot Pro machine, however the 4.5" Assembled Half Square Triangle die I used was much smaller and didn't need to go through the big machine - I could have used the fabi. I didn't want to pull out both machines, so I cranked both dies through the Big Shot Pro at once. It saved time and space!
Once I cut everything out, I assembled it on my cutting mat to make sure I liked the layout. I originally had the pinks in the middle swapped, but after moving them around I found I liked it better this way. You may notice that the outside corner blocks are a little bigger. Don't worry though, it all works out in the end.
To assemble these faster I paired up each set of pieces that equaled a block and clipped them together and made a little pile. This saved me time when I would normally be running in between my cutting table and my sewing machine.
Using a 1/4" foot attachment, I chain stitched all of my half square triangle blocks. Chain stitching is when you feed a set of pieces though and instead of cutting the thread and starting over with the next block, you just finish the first block and place the next down and continue sewing. This saves time and thread, because you just snip the small threads in between each block when you're done.
I also pieced my Drunkard's Path blocks after all of the Half Square Triangle blocks.
Using an iron, I pressed the seams open on all of them before continuing to assemble.
The first set of blocks I assembled were the sets of Half Square Triangles. As you can see above. I chain pieced them all too.
The next trip to the sewing machine I pinned the center blocks together, matching the center seams and stitched them up. I also added the Drunkard's Path blocks to the top and bottom row of the mini.
Next up was attaching the left and right side Half Square Triangle sets to the center block. Again pinning and making sure the seams matched up.
The final step was attaching the top and bottom row to the middle row using the same theme as the rest, pin while matching seams.
Once the block was completely assembled, I trimmed up the sides using the middle row as my guide.
If you really love the block, you could go ahead and make a whole bunch more and have yourself a pretty nice quilt!
I decided my wall needed another mini quilt hanging on it though, so I spray basted it to some leftover batting I had and quilted 1/2" lines all over it. I also added a nice red wine-colored skinny binding to add just a bit more contrast.
The finished mini quilt measures 16" square and is perfect as a wall hanging, doll quilt, table topper or some other kind of use that I haven't though of yet. I'm hoping I get to hang on to this one! Maybe I should hide it from my daughter?
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my project! I had a lot of fun making it. As always, I'm here to answer any questions you may have, so ask away!
- Fat Eighths of fabric or scraps for the center blocks and the center of the drunkards path blocks - I used Robert Kaufman Kona in Pomegranate, Azalea and Silver
- Fat Quarters of fabric or similar sized scraps for the outside blocks - I used Robert Kaufman Kona in Carnation and Architextures Crosshatch in Grey
- Fat Quarter of fabric for the binding - I used Robert Kaufman Kona in Wine
- Fat Quarter of fabric for the back - I used Carolyn Friedlander's Architextures Crosshatch in Grey
- Batting at least 18" square
- Coordinating thread