Hi everyone, it's Audrey, here today with some fun Sizzix Inspiration for Halloween. I have made a pair of quick Halloween treat bags to share using the Tim Holtz In the Bag Movers & Shapers L die and Skull Blueprint Framelits die set.
I absolutely love Tim's Blueprints series of stamps with matching Framelits die sets. They make creating detailed projects, like these spooky skull and crossbones so easy and fun. I like to die cut several layers of the images, attaching them back together with 3D foam squares between the layers, for really eye catching and interactive designs.
And of course these spooky skulls just scream for some grungy distress ink and paint, right? To begin, die cut the little bags from Kraft Core card stock using the In the Bag die and the following basic Sizzix sandwich: cutting pad, die (foam side up), card stock, followed by a second cutting pad. Then stamp the skull and cross bone image onto the front of the die cut bags using archival black ink. I outlined the image with Pumice Stone Distress Marker, then went over the marker with a wet paintbrush. Then added a touch of color to the bones with a watercolor brush and purple distress ink. I added a few ink splatters, too, and painted the crossbones with Distress Crackle Paint, for good measure.
To create the dimensional skulls, I stamped the image again four times, this time onto heavy ivory card stock using black archival ink, then added a wash of color using a mixture of brown, gray, and orange Distress Ink. You can see in the close-up photo that I added a bit of silver shimmer to areas of the skull using Brushed Pewter Distress Stain and a wet paintbrush. Once all the ink and paint are dry, die cut two of the images using only the skull outline die, and die cut the other two images using only the jaw outline die. With the Framelits dies, I recommend using the Magnetic Platform, which allows you to place the Framelits dies directly over your stamped images to line them up perfectly, and have them stay in place while die cutting.
To assemble the skull, apply a bit of foam adhesive on the bottom of the jaw piece, and a bit of strong tacky glue to the top hinges of the jaw, then adhere the jaw to the die cut skulls. At this point, I added Rusty Hinges Distress Glitter to random areas of the skulls using the clear crackle paint to adhere the glitter. Then add more foam adhesive behind the skulls and attach them over the stamped image on the gift bag. Assemble the gift bag, securing with red line adhesive or tacky glue. Finish off with a fun hang tag, stamped and die cut from the same Skull Blueprint set.