Chess Pieces & Game Board
Have fun making your own Chess Pieces and game board!
Theme: School & Sports
Supplies Used: Adhesive, Construction paper, cardstock or poster board, Scissors, Tape
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- To create the chess board, tape two 6 1/2" x 13" pieces of white cardstock or poster board together. This will make the chess board easy to store.
- Die-cut 32 squares from the Chess Pieces Die using black construction paper.
- Cut two 1/2" strips of paper, and position them as guides along a side and bottom of the chess board.
- Adhere a square in a corner of the chess board, using the strips as guides. Place another black square next to the adhered square as a marker.
- Adhere another black square next to the marker square, and then remove the marker square.
- Alternate the black squares in eight rows to finish the chess board (Main Photo).
- To create the Chess Pieces, die-cut the Chess Pieces using two contrasting colors of construction paper. Die-cut 8 pawns, 2 castles, 2 knights, 2 bishops, 1 king, 1 queen and 16 circle shapes from each of the colors.
- Fold on the vertical perforation in the center of each piece, except for the knight, which folds on the horizontal (Figure A).
- Fold up the bottom base flaps.
- Place adhesive on one inner side of each Chess Piece (not on the bottom base flaps), and press the sides together.
- Place adhesive on the opened bottom base flaps, and adhere to a coordinating colored circle (Figure B).
- Position the Chess Pieces on the board, and let the games begin!
- Figure A
- Figure B