Construct a dodecagon calendar showing all twelve months.
Theme: 3-D Boxes & Shapes
Supplies Used: Adhesive, Cardstock or construction paper, Size 10 rubber bands
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
Dodecahedron Cube Calendar:
- Die-cut twelve pentagons from the Elastic Geometrics Set using assorted colors of cardstock.
- Use the following website to make a copy of the dodecahedron cube calendar: https://craftmeister.mcuniverse.com/2017-dodecahedron-cube-calendars-are-ready/.
- Cut apart each calendar month and adhere a month to a pentagon for all twelve months.
- Attach the pentagons together with #10 rubber bands to complete the dodecahedron cube calendar (Main Photo).
Truncated Icosahedron (soccer ball):
- Die-cut 20 white hexagons and 12 black pentagons using cardstock or construction paper.
- Attach a white hexagon to one side of a black pentagon (Figure A) with a Size 10 rubber band repeat 9 times for a total of ten.
- Attach white hexagons to the sides of a black pentagon. Repeat once for a total of two (Figure B).
- Attach a hexagon/pentagon to each hexagon (Figure C). This forms half of a soccer ball. Repeat this to create the second half of the soccer ball. Assemble the two halves to form a soccer ball (Main Photo).
- Size 10 rubber bands are needed to create polyhedral; however, glue can also be used to assemble polyhedra.
- Students can begin with a simple polyhedra. Six squares combine to make a cube (Figure D). A square and four triangles combine to make a pyramid. The truncated octahedron is made from eight hexagons and six squares (Main Photo).
- Figure A
- Figure B
- Figure C
- Figure D