Piano Keys Pillowcase
Create a quick and easy pillowcase to match any décor. They are great add-ons to any quilt. Use your favorite Strip Dies and the "Hot-Dog" or "Tube" method of layering and sewing fabrics to achieve a pillowcase without any exposed seams.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork, New Baby
|1/2 yd||Pink and blue flannel||Cut (1) 16" x 30"|
|1/4 yd||Pink and white striped flannel||Cut (8) 2 1/2" x 10" Strips|
|1/4 yd||Blue and white polka-dot flannel||Cut (8) 2 1/2" x 10" Strips|
|1||12" x 16" Pillow form|
- Finished Size: 21 1/2" x 12 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
Assembling the Project:
- Sew the 2 1/2" x 10" flannel Strips together on the long edge, alternating colors, to form a piano keys border. Press the seams to one side.
- Place the piano keys border and pink and blue flannel rectangle, right sides together, lining up the raw edges and pin. Roll up the pink and blue flannel rectangle, bring the piano keys border up and pin to form a tube. This will enclose all pieces of the pillowcase inside the piano keys border. This is sometimes called the "Hot Dog" or "Tube" of making a pillowcase.
- Sew along the raw edge. Carefully pull the pink and blue flannel out of the tube. This will enclose the seam inside the piano keys border. Press.
- Create a French seam by folding the pillowcase wrong sides together. Sew down the side only. Press. Turn the pillowcase inside-out. Sew a 5/8" seam down the side to enclose the original seam. Press.
- Repeat step 4 to sew the bottom seam.
- Turn right-side-out and press.