Almost Argyle Quilt
There's a multitude of variations to this lovely design, including removing the sashing surrounding the diamonds and clustering the shapes in quadrants or rows or whatever you can dream up!
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|1 yd||Cream||Cut (9) 1 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for sashing|
Cut (5) 3 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for border
|3/4 yd||Multi-stripe||Cut (34) Diamonds|
Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|1/2 yd||Pink||Cut (34) Diamonds|
|1/2 yd||Dark orange dots||Cut (32) Diamonds|
|1/2 yd||Turquoise||Cut (32) Diamonds|
|3/8 yd||Light orange dots||Cut (30) Diamonds|
|3/8 yd||Lime green||Cut (30) Diamonds|
|2 1/2 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 1 1/4 yd pieces|
|44" x 62"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 40" x 58"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Making the Diamond 4-Patches:
The Diamond 4-patches are made from two different fabrics. There are three pairs of fabrics for the 4-patches: stripe and pink, dark orange and turquoise, and light orange and lime green.
- Using one of the color pairs above, sew two of the Diamonds together as shown below. Press. Repeat with the remaining Diamonds in that color pair. Clip off the dog-ears that will hang over on each side. See Diagram 1.
- Sew two of the pairs together to make a larger Diamond. Press. Repeat with the remaining sets made in step 1.
- Clip off the dog-ears that will hang over on each side. See Diagram 2.
For the quilt you will need 17 stripe/pink pieced Diamonds, 16 dark orange/turquoise Diamonds, and 15 light orange/lime green Diamonds.
Assembling the Quilt:
- Layout the quilt according to the photograph. You will have to cut some of the pieced Diamond 4-patches in half lengthwise or widthwise. There is one stripe/pink pieced Diamond that will be cut both ways and used in the corners.
- Again, using the photo, sew a piece of 1 1/2" cream sashing to the same side of all the Diamonds where it is required. Trim off the excess as shown in Diagram 3.
- The quilt center is sewn in diagonal rows. The rows will alternate between the Diamond 4-patches and 1 1/2" cream sashing. The sashing may have to be pieced for some of the long rows. Do not trim until the entire center is pieced.
- When the center is pieced, trim the edge of the quilt into a rectangle. Make sure the corners are square and sides straight.
- Cut two of the 3 1/2" strips of cream to 33 1/2". Sew to the short sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the remaining three 3 1/2" strips together into one long strip. Cut into two pieces, 58" long. Sew to the long sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the two 1 1/4 yd pieces of the backing fabric together to make a backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- Sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2
- Figure 3