Large Tumbler QuiltProject #13874
With the look of a pretty plaid weave, this Tumbler Quilt brings out a charming contrast of colors. It's also designed with a die that pairs perfectly with your 10" fabric pre-cuts for minimal waste.
Products Used656689-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 3 1/2" Wide 657898-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strip, 3 1/2" Wide 658328-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658330-Sizzix Bigz Pro 25" Die - Strips, 2 1/2" Wide 658116-Sizzix Bigz Pro Die - Tumbler, 8" H Finished 660516-Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Strips, 1 1/2" Wide
|3/4 yd||PWPG002 Silver||Cut (12) Tumblers|
|3/4 yd||PWPG005 Stones||Cut (12) Tumblers|
|3/4 yd||PWPG009 Brush||Cut (6) Tumblers
Cut (5) 1 1/2" wide Strips x WOF
|1/2 yd||PWPG003 Forest||Cut (6) Tumblers|
|1/2 yd||PWPG00001 Darkwater||Cut (6) Tumblers|
|1/2 yd||PWPG00007 Academy||Cut (6) Tumblers|
|1 5/8 yd||PWPG006 Steel||Cut (4) 3 1/2" wide Strips x LOF
Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x LOF for binding
|3 1/4 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (2) 1 5/8 yd pieces|
|58" x 62"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 53 1/2" x 55 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
- LOF = length of fabric
- When cutting Tumblers, use the example in Diagram 1 to get the most Tumblers with the least waste. Fabric can be more than one layer when cutting.
Assembling the Tumbler Center:
- Take four of the PWPG002 Silver and four of the PWPG005 Stones Tumblers and cut them in half. See Diagram 2.
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, arrange the Tumblers in rows. Each row will start and end with a half Tumbler.
- Sew each of the six rows together and press the seams open. This will reduce the bulk at the seam lines when sewing the rows together.
- Sew the rows together. Make sure the rows are in the correct order and are not turned upside down. It is easiest to do this by laying out all the rows on a design wall or the floor, then carefully picking up the rows and sewing them together. Press.
- Trim off the half Tumbler blocks to 1/4" from the point where the two color greens or two color blues meet. See Diagram 3.
Adding the Borders:
- Sew the five 1 1/2" x WOF of PWPG009 together into one long strip. Press.
- Cut into four 1 1/2" x 47 1/2" pieces.
- Sew two of the 1 1/2" to each of the long sides of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the remaining 1 1/2" strips to the top and bottom of the quilt. Press.
- Cut two of the 3 1/2" x LOF strips to 49 1/2" long. Sew these to the long sides of the quilt. Press.
- Cut the remaining two 3 1/2" x LOF to 53 1/2". Sew these to the top and bottom of the quilt. Press.
- Sew the two 1 5/8 yd pieces of the backing fabric together along the selvedge edge to make the backing.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- Sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.