American Eagle Quilt
With the freedom to create your way, you can design a patriotic masterpiece. For a personal touch, embroider the shield with the veteran's name, special branch of service and years of duty.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork, Birds & Insects
|1 yd||White-on-white print||Cut (1) 21 1/2" x 24 1/2" for the background|
Cut (60) Half-Square Triangles
Cut (4) 6 1/2" Squares
|(5) Fat 1/8||Assorted red prints||Cut (6) 3 1/2" Half-Square Triangles from each print|
|(5) Fat 1/8||Assorted blue prints||Cut (6) 3 1/2" Half-Square Triangles from each print|
|(1) Fat 1/4||Brown print||Cut (1) Eagle*|
Cut (1) 16" x 1 1/2" wide Strip on the bias to form a Branch*
|(1) Fat 1/8||Green print||Cut (20) Leaves*, various sizes|
|(1) Fat 1/8||Gold fabric||Cut (5) Shields*|
|1/2 yd||Red print||Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips for binding|
Cut (2) 1 1/2" wide Strips x 21 1/2"
Cut (2) 1 1/2" wide Strips x 26 1/2"
|1 1/4 yd||Backing fabric|
|40" x 40"||Batting|
|1/2 yd||Fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 33" x 36"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
Piecing the Quilt:
- Place an Eagle with a gold Shield, a Branch and Leaves on the background. When satisfied with the arrangement, heat fuse in place with an iron. Stitch around the shapes as desired.
- Pair one white-on-white with either a red or blue Half-Square Triangle and sew along the diagonal seam to form a square. Press the seams towards the darker colors. Repeat until all Half-Square Triangles are sewn together to form square blocks.
- Sew a 1 1/2" x 21 1/2" red strip to each the side of the white-on-white center background fabric.
- Sew a 1 1/2" x 24 1/2" red strip to the top and bottom of the white on white center background fabric.
- Using the photograph as a guide, sew 14 square blocks together, 2 across by 7 down, to form side border segments. Be sure the prints are placed in the same corner in all blocks. Press.
- Using the photograph as a guide, sew 16 square blocks together, 8 across by 2 down, to form the top and bottom border segments. Be sure the prints are placed in the same corner in all blocks. Press.
- Heat fuse each remaining gold Shield to each the white-on-white 6 1/2" Square to form Shield blocks. Stitch around the shapes as desired.
- Sew the Half-Square Triangle segments to the sides of the quilt top first. Sew the Shield blocks to each end of the Half-Square Triangle segments, then sew the top and bottom of the quilt top.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.