Tessellating Pinwheels Quilt
A kaleidoscope of colors. Perfectly cut shapes. An unforgettable quilt. That's your easy recipe for success with Sizzix Quilting and Appliqué dies.
|(11) Fat 1/4||Assorted prints||Cut (18) Tessellating Pinwheels* from each print|
|1/2 yd||Golden print||Cut (38) Tessellating Pinwheels** for border|
|1/2 yd||Orange & white print||Cut (38) Tessellating Pinwheels** for border|
|1/2 yd||Binding||Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|1 1/2 yd||Backing fabric|
|40" x 54"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 35 1/2" x 48 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- WOF = width of fabric
- * = Fabric for the center of the quilt must be cut all face or face down. Do not cut mirror images.
- ** = Fabric for the borders needs to be cut with equal amounts of mirror images. To create mirror images of a shape, fold fabric so that it faces itself, then cut.
Piecing the Quilt:
- Using a design wall or floor, arrange the Tessellating Pinwheels. Refer to the picture for assistance.
- Sew a pair of Tessellating Pinwheels together to form a block. When 4 blocks are arranged, full Tessellating Pinwheels should appear.
- Sew blocks together, 7 blocks across by 10 blocks down.
- For the borders, refer to the photograph for placement. Create a wavy border by sewing one gold print fabric to an orange & white print fabric using the mirror images. Make 38 blocks total, half with mirror images.
- Sew 7 blocks together to form the top and bottom borders. Sew borders to the top and bottom of the quilt top.
- Sew 12 blocks together to form the side borders. Sew borders to each side of the quilt top.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.