Trip Around the World Quilt
With the look of a pretty Southwestern blanket, this Trip Around the World Quilt plays on the contrast of colors to create this stunning pattern.
|1 1/2 yd||Blue print||Cut (55) Squares|
|1 1/2 yd||Pink print||Cut (56) Squares|
|1 1/2 yd||Yellow print||Cut (56) Squares|
|1 1/2 yd||Green print||Cut (54) Squares|
|3/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (8) 2 1/2" wide Strips|
|3 1/2 yd||Backing fabric|
|44" x 56"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 52" x 68"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
Piecing the Quilt:
- Using the quilt image as a guide, arrange the Squares in rows, 13 across by 17 down.
- Sew 13 blocks together to form a row. Press the seams to one side. Repeat to form 16 more rows.
- Sew the 17 rows together to form the quilt center. Make sure the rows are in the correct order and are not turned upside-down. It is easiest to do this by laying out all the rows on a design wall or the floor, then picking up the rows and sewing them together. Press.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.