English Garden Hexagon Pillow
Add some bloom to any room! This Flower Garden Pillow blossoms in beauty for spring or for a little girl's room. Try it out and grow your English paper piecing skills today.
|Fat 1/4||Pink print||Cut (19) Hexagons with 1 1/4" sides|
|Fat 1/4||Green print||Cut (20) Hexagons with 1 1/4" sides|
|Fat 1/4||Purple print||Cut (17) Hexagons with 1 1/4" sides|
|Fat 1/4||Yellow print||Cut (18) Hexagons with 1 1/4" sides|
|Fat 1/4||Blue print||Cut (20) Hexagons with 1 1/4" sides|
|Fat 1/4||Orange print||Cut (16) Hexagons with 1 1/4" sides|
|Fat 1/4||Backing fabric||Cut (1) 17" Square|
|1||16" Square pillow form|
|110||Cardstock Hexagons with 1" sides|
- Finished Size: 16" x 16"
- English paper-piecing basic instructions: With the wrong side of a 1 1/4" fabric Hexagon facing up, place a 1" cardstock Hexagon inside, centering the cardstock. Turn the 1/4" of fabric around the outside edge over the cardstock and tack in place at each corner. Whipstitch the finished Hexagons together with the cardstock left inside.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
Piecing the Project:
- Using the English paper-piecing method above, prepare all 110 fabric Hexagons.
- Using the project image as a guide, start in the center. Work from the wrong side of the Hexagons and use a whipstitch to sew them together. You will have to bend the cardstock to make it easier to sew.
- Continue adding Hexagons, leaving the cardstock in place.
- Carefully remove all the cardstock from the Hexagons.
- Square off the pillow top by trimming away excess.
- Layer the pillow top and pillow back, right sides together. Pin and sew with 1/2" seam allowance, leaving an opening approximately 6" long to insert pillow form.
- Clip excess fabric in the corners on the diagonal. Turn right-side-out, insert the pillow form and whipstitch closed.