|Fat 1/4||Linen||Cut (1) 12 1/2" x 15 1/2" for background|
|10" Square||Gray and yellow floral print||Cut (1) Large Bird*|
|5" Square||Gray striped print||Cut (1) Small Bird*|
|5" Square||Yellow polka-dot print||Cut (1) Small Bird*|
|Fat 1/4||Yellow floral print||Cut (44) Triangles|
|1/2 yd||Gray floral print||Cut (26) Triangles|
Cut (3) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|Fat 1/4||Cream print||Cut (18) Triangles|
|2/3 yd||Backing fabric|
|22" x 28"||Batting|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 18 3/4" x 21 3/4"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt:
- Arrange the Birds in a pleasing manner on the background. Heat fuse in place with an iron and stitch around shapes as desired.
- For the Triangle border, see photo for reference. Sew one cream print Triangle to one yellow print Triangle. Sew one yellow print Triangle to one gray print Triangle. See Diagram 1. Repeat 17 times.
- For the corners, sew two yellow print Triangles to two gray print Triangles. See Diagram 2.
- Sew two sets of four blocks together to form the side borders. Sew the side borders to the background, placing the cream print Triangles towards the middle.
- Sew two sets of five blocks to form the top and bottom borders. Sew corners onto the end of each five-block row. See Diagram 3.
- Sew top and bottom borders onto the background, placing the cream print Triangles towards the middle.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2
- Figure 3