Hexagon Tablet Cover
Creativity has no boundaries. This Hexagon Tablet Cover is more than proof of the unlimited expression that Sizzix Big Shot and fabi shape-cutting equipment offers.
Project courtesy of Lisa Elston.
|(7) 5" Squares||Assorted prints||Cut (23) Hexagons with 3/4" sides|
|Fat 1/4||Blue print||Cut (1) 12" x 20" for outside tablet cover|
|Fat 1/4||Cream print||Cut (1) 12" x 20" for inside tablet cover|
|1/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
Sub-cut into (2) 2 1/2" x 12 1/2" and (2) 2 1/2" x 11"
|8 1/2" x 11"||Cardstock||Cut (23) Hexagons with 1/2" sides|
- Finished Size: 7 3/4" x 11 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- English paper-piecing basic instructions: With the wrong side of a 3/4" fabric Hexagon facing up, place a 1/2" cardstock Hexagon inside, centering the cardstock. Turn the 1/4" of fabric around the outside edge over the cardstock and tack in place at each corner. Whipstitch the finished Hexagons together with the cardstock left inside.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Project:
- Using the English paper-piecing method above, prepare all 23 fabric Hexagons.
- Using the project image as a guide, lay out Hexagons. Work from the wrong side of the Hexagons and use a whipstitch to sew them together. You will have to bend the cardstock to make it easier to sew.
- Continue adding Hexagons, leaving the cardstock in place.
- Complete a total of three flowers joined by a single Hexagon in between.
- Carefully remove all the cardstock from the Hexagons once complete.
- Layer the tablet cover outside, batting and tablet cover inside. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Fold wrong sides together of the binding strips, lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the 11" long binding strips to the two short edges of the right side of the tablet cover. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the tablet cover and stitch in place by hand.
- Fold the bottom edge up 7 1/2" to create a pocket for the tablet and baste sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance.
- Center each of the 12 1/2" long folded binding strips on the long edges of the tablet cover. Fold each end over by 3/8" to conceal the raw edges. Press. With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the right side of the tablet cover. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the tablet cover and stitch in place by hand.
- Carefully hand-appliqué the Hexagon flowers to the top flap of the tablet cover.