Ryan's Fire Trucks Wall Hanging
Start your creative engine! When there's a need for speed, you can easily begin by fusing a Fire Truck onto a background along with a die-cut name. From there, you can cruise to a comfortable finish by adding a border.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|Fat 1/4||Red solid||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF
Cut (3) Fire Trucks*
|Fat 1/4||Yellow solid||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF
Cut (3) Truck lights*
Cut Letters* to spell "Ryan"
|1/2 yd||Gray solid||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF
Cut (3) ladders*
|Fat 1/8||Black solid||Cut (6) wheels*|
|2/3 yd||Light blue solid||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
Cut (1) 16" x 26" for the background
|1||Yellow embroidery floss|
|2/3 yd||Backing fabric|
|20" x 30"||Batting|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 15" x 25"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- WOF = width of fabric
Assembling the Project:
- Fold background fabric in half and press. Fold in half again and press. Unfold fabric. The pressed folds will intersect at the center of the background to help you arrange the letters and shapes.
- Arrange the letters and Fire Trucks on the background. When satisfied with the arrangement, heat fuse in place with an iron. Stitch around shapes as desired.
- Embellish the Fire Truck lights with yellow embroidery floss.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Cut each of the red, yellow and gray Strips into two lengths and randomly sew them on the diagonal, alternating colors, to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding and the border strip to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.