|3/4 yd total||Orange, lime, purple and black prints||Cut into various width strips|
|2 yd||Black solid||Cut (32) Wacky Web kite shapes
Cut (4) 4 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for the exterior border
Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|1/4 yd||Lime solid||Cut (4) 1" wide Strips x WOF for the interior border|
|16 sheets||Sandwich paper||Cut (16) 9 3/8" Squares|
|1 3/4 yd||Backing fabric|
|46" x 46"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 42 1/2" x 42 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
Piecing the Quilt:
- Sew various width strips together. Press seams open. Lay pieced strip fabrics right sides together on top of die to get mirror images. Die-cut pieced strips into 32 mirror-image triangles.
- Sew a pieced triangle to a black kite shape. See Diagram 1. Repeat 63 times.
- See mirror image pieced triangle to the other side of the black kit shape. Repeat 63 times. See Diagram 2.
- Sew two triangle units together to form a square. See Diagram 3.
- Sew four square units across by four down to make the quilt top.
- Measure from top to bottom to find the length of the side borders. Cut two 1" lime strips to that length. Sew onto sides of quilt top. Press towards the lime border.
- Measure from side to side to find the top and bottom lengths. Cut two 1" lime strips to that length. Sew onto top and bottom of quilt top. Press towards the lime border.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to sew the black borders to the quilt top.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2
- Figure 3