Jeweled Kaleidoscope Pillow
It's as timeless as it is treasured! If you're inspired by bold patterns, then this pillow will be an amazing addition to your living room. And for a more rustic look, you can easily change the color scheme to make another unique creation.
|(8) 10" Squares||Assorted batik fabrics||Cut (32) Kaleidoscope large triangles|
Cut (16) Kaleidoscope corner triangles
|1 yd||Teal batik fabric||Cut (1) 17" square|
Cut (2) 3" wide Strips x 12 1/2"
Cut (2) 3" wide Strips x 17 1/2"
|18" x 18"||Low loft batting|
|1||16" square pillow form|
- Finished Size: 16" x 16"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
Piecing the Project:
- Sew a pair of large triangles together. See Diagram 1. Nest the seams. Repeat 15 times. Lay out four pairs of large triangles to form a finished block. Use one of each color per block. Be careful not to place the same color next to each other. Repeat 3 times.
- Sew two pairs of large triangles together to form half of a finished block. See Diagram 2. Repeat 7 times. Nest seams in the center.
- Sew two block halves together to form a complete block. Repeat 3 times. Press center seam open and all others flat.
- Sew four corner triangles to each block to form a square. The corner triangles should be a different color than the large triangle that it is placed next to. Press the seams toward the corner triangles.
- Sew four blocks together, two across by two down, to form the pillow top. Press.
- Sew the 3" x 12 1/2" Strips to each side of the pillow top. Press the seams toward the borders.
- Sew the 3" x 17 1/2" Strips onto the top and bottom of the pillow top. Press the seams toward the borders.
- Layer the batting and pillow top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired. With a long ruler, trim off the excess fabric to square up the pillow top to a 17" square.
- Layer the pillow top and pillow back, right sides together. Pin and sew with 1/2" seam allowance, leaving an opening approximately 6" long to insert pillow form.
- Clip excess fabric in the corners on the diagonal. Turn right-side out, insert the pillow form and whipstitch closed.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2
- Figure 3