Winter Fabric Ball
Make a colorful creation to accent any place or space. With a few high-contrast fabrics and your imagination, you can easily personalize it to your perfect preferences.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|25cm x 112cm||Green floral cotton fabric for the lining||Cut (20) 4" Circles|
|12cm x 50cm||5 different cotton fabrics for the outside||Cut (4) 4" Circles from each fabric|
|25cm x 112cm||Wadding||Cut (20) 4" Circles|
|1 bag||Polyester fiberfill|
- Finished Size: 13cm x 13cm
- All seam allowances are 6mm unless noted.
Assembling the Project:
- Place a lining Circle right side up on the table. On top of this put an outer Circle, with right side down, and then add a wadding Circle.
- Pin the three layers together and stitch all around, with a 1cm seam allowance. See Picture 1.
- Trim the wadding close to the seam and then cut notches in the seam allowance. See Picture 2.
- Trim the seam allowance and then mark the cutting line on the lining (keep this as small as possible and below the center).
- To cut the lining, lift it up from the outer fabric, and snip, taking care not to cut the outer fabric. See Picture 3.
- Turn the Circle right side out and mark with pins three points equally around the circle. See Picture 4.
- Turn the circle over and draw a triangle between the three points (I have marked with a pen so that it shows clearly, but I recommend an air erasable pen). This will be the stitching line.
- Repeat these steps until you have completed all 20 Circles.
- Join two Circles together, matching the stitching lines. See Picture 5.
- Join another three Circles to this to make a domed Circle (the lining side is shown here because the seams show up more clearly). See Picture 6.
- Repeat with another five Circles, mixing the colors.
- Join the remaining 10 Circles together, alternating the points and bases of the stitching lines to make a strip to look like Pictures 7 and 8.
- Join the end Circles together to make a band. The two domes look like Picture 9.
- Join one dome to the band, matching the stitching lines of each Circle.
- Repeat with the other dome, but only stitch three of the Circles together.
- Stuff the ball through the open Circles. See Picture 10.
- Stitch the remaining Circles together to complete the ball.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2
- Figure 3
- Figure 4
- Figure 5
- Figure 6
- Figure 7
- Figure 8
- Figure 9