Modern Honeycomb Pillow
Anytime, anywhere, you will love this easy hand-work project. The die shape conveniently includes paper and fabric shapes for English paper-piecing.
|5/8 yd||Newspaper print||Cut (2) 16 1/2" squares|
Cut (2) 1 1/2" wide Strips x WOF
|(64) 4" squares||Assorted scraps||Cut (64) large Honeycombs|
|1||16" Square pillow form|
|3" x 3"||Heat-resistant template plastic||Cut (1) small Honeycomb|
|1 3/4 yd||1/4" wide cording|
|1 can||Spray starch|
- Finished Size: 16" x 16"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Pillow Top:
- Spray the wrong side of a fabric Honeycomb shape with starch.
- Center the Honeycomb template on top of a fabric Honeycomb.
- Fold the seam allowance over one edge of the template and heat press with an iron.
- Continue pressing until all of the seam allowances are folded over and pressed. Remove the plastic template.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4 for each fabric Honeycomb shape.
- Arrange Honeycombs as seen in the photo.
- Place two Honeycombs right sides together and whipstitch on diagonal one edge. Continue whipstitching Honeycombs until all are attached.
- When all Honeycombs are connected, center on 16 1/2" newspaper print square.
- Machine appliqué in place.
Making the Piping:
- Stitch the 1 1/2" ends together of the newspaper print Strips.
- Place the cording down the middle of the Strip and fold over, lining up the edges.
- With a zipper foot, baste close to the cording.
- Baste stitch the piping along the perimeter of the pillow front.
- Layer the pillow top and pillow back, right sides together. Pin and sew with 1/2" seam allowance, leaving an opening approximately 6" long to insert pillow form.
- Clip excess fabric in the corners on the diagonal. Turn right side out, insert the pillow form and whipstitch closed.