Wind Chimes Wall Hanging
Show your true colors with countless combinations of creativity from a Half Hexagon die. Easily add dimension with the placement of light and dark fabrics.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|1/4 yd||Blue/orange print||Cut (11) Half Hexagons|
|1/4 yd||Yellow print||Cut (8) Half Hexagons|
|1/4 yd||Aqua multi||Cut (8) Half Hexagons|
|1/4 yd||Salmon print||Cut (4) Half Hexagons|
|1/4 yd||Gold print||Cut (4) Half Hexagons|
|1/8 yd||Aqua dot print||Cut (4) Half Hexagons|
|1/8 yd||Aqua/orange print||Cut (4) Half Hexagons|
|1/8 yd||Gold/orange print||Cut (4) Half Hexagons|
|3/4 yd||Gray multi print||Cut (60) Half Hexagons|
|1/2 yd||Blue multi print||Cut (9) Half Hexagons
Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|1 yd||Backing fabric|
|32" x 32"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 27" x 27"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Project:
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, lay out the entire quilt on a design wall or the floor. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing.
- Sew two Half Hexagons together to make one hexagon. Sew, starting and stopping at 1/4" seam allowances. See Diagram 1. Repeat until all available Half Hexagons are sewn together.
- Sew Hexagons together in diagonal rows. Sew, starting and stopping at 1/4" seam allowances. See Diagram 2.
- Sew rows together in a 'Y' seam. Sew, starting and stopping at 1/4" seam allowances. See Diagram 3.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Figure 1
- Figure 2
- Figure 3