Princess Dress Quilt
What little princess wouldn't be royally impressed by this? This quilt is versatile enough to be a stylish decoration at a girl's birthday party, yet still look perfect on any guest's bed.
Theme: Decorative Elements
|1 yd||White on white dots||Cut (9) 8 1/2" Squares for background|
|3/4 yd||Pink with white flowers||Cut (12) 2" wide Strips x 8 1/2"
Cut (4) 2" wide Strips x 30 1/2"
Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|1/2 yd||Pink with white flowers||Cut (16) small Flowers**|
|(9) 7" x 7"||Assorted pink fabrics||Cut (9) Dresses*
Cut (2) mirror-image Bird Wings*
Cut (9) small Plain Leaves*
|7" x 7"||Green fabric||Cut (1) Dress*|
|(2) 7" x 7"||Blue fabric||Cut (2) Dresses*|
|7" x 7"||Assorted yellow fabric||Cut (4) small Plain Leaves*|
|8" x 8"||Purple||Cut (2) mirror-image Birds*|
|3/4 yd||Pink with pink dots||Cut (16) Swags*|
|3/4 yd||Blue with princess dress print||Cut (2) 6 1/2" wide Strips x 30" for border
Cut (2) 6 1/2" wide Strips x 42" for border
|3 yd||Backing fabric|
|46" x 46"||Batting|
|2 packages||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
|16||Small white buttons|
- Finished Size: 42" x 42"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- ** = Cut fabric into two 18" x 22" pieces. Fuse fabric back to back.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt:
- Place a Dress on top of an 8 1/2" Square. Heat fuse in place using an iron.
- To make dresses look different, place small Leaves on Dress skirt to look like a peplum. Cut the skirts of some Dresses in half and place on top of another Dress skirt to make it look like an overskirt. Cut bodice from skirt and interchange for a different look.
- Repeat to make seven more Dress blocks.
- Using the quilt image as a guide, alternate sewing four 2" x 8 1/2" Rectangles and three Dress blocks to form a sashing and Dress block row. Make three rows.
- Sew horizontal rows together, starting at the top with a sashing row, and alternating with a sashing and Dress block row to form the finished quilt center.
- Sew the 6 1/2" wide blue borders to each side of the quilt.
- Sew the 6 1/2" wide blue borders to the top and bottom of the quilt.
- Heat fuse Swags in place around the border.
- Heat fuse the Birds with Wings in place at the top of the quilt.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.
- Sew a small flower and button to the edge of each Swag intersection.