All Dressed Up Friendship Quilt
If you thought one Dress made a big statement, how about a quilt full of them? That's what this fashionable project promises, and we're sure you'll plenty to say with your unique style!
|(20) 7" x 7"||Assorted prints||Cut (20) Dresses*|
|Scraps||Assorted prints||Cut (20) Dress Sashes*
Hand cut (6) Triangle Pennants*
|1 1/2 yd||White print||Cut (20) 9 1/2" Squares|
|1/8 yd total||20 Assorted prints||Cut (2) 1 1/2" wide Strips x 9 1/2" from each print
Cut (2) 1 1/2" wide Strips x 12 1/2" from each print
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (6) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|3 yd||Backing fabric|
|48" x 58"||Batting|
|2 packages||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 44" x 54"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- WOF = width of fabric
Assembling the Quilt:
- Place a Dress and its sash on an 9 1/2" white square and heat fuse in place. Stitch around edge of Dress. Repeat to make 18 more Dress blocks.
- For the 20th Dress block, heat fuse the Dress in place without a sash. Hand stitch around edge of Dress. Embellish with a ribbon and bow.
- Sew to the pennants to the background of a desired block. Stitch around pennants. Stitch a "string" for the banner to hang from.
- Sew matching 1 1/2" x 9 1/2" Strips to each side of a Dress block.
- Sew the matching 1 1/2" x 12 1/2" Strips to the top of the bottom of a Dress block.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to sew borders around each Dress block.
- Sew the Dress blocks together, four across by five down to form the quilt top.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.