Tap into the timeless! This vintage steam punk-inspired project borrows essential elements from the popular rustic trend
Other Supplies: Slated Wooden Heart, Plain Card, Assorted Acrylic Paints, Foam Applicator, Silver Gilding Wax
- Buy or make your own slated wooden heart (about 30cm x 30cm).
- Die-cut several different cogs from heavyweight card. Attach to the heart trimming away any overlapping pieces.
- Die-cut two plain and two ornate butterflies. Gently curl the wings of the ornate butterflies. Set aside.
- Die-cut the ornate flourish from the Mixed Media set in the center of a piece of card to use as a stencil.
- Apply black paint with a sponge applicator through the stencil several times towards the left hand side of the heart and use the same applicator to paint the wood over the cogs from left to right. Blend with deep red acrylic while still wet.
- Paint the butterflies black and allow everything to dry thoroughly.
- Use your fingertip to apply silver or pewter gilding wax to the detailed butterfly and mount the detailed butterflies onto their plain counterparts before attaching to the heart.
- Finally, use the gilding wax to bring out the raised detail of the die-cut cogs.