Uncle Sam's Hat Wall Hanging
Make America beautiful! This fun and bright tribute to patriotism looks great on any wall. Plus it's a snap to custom create in a variety of sizes with the eclips2 Fabric Series machine.
|3/4 yd||White||Cut (1) 25" x 30" for the background
Cut (1) 10" x 9" for stripes and stars
|Fat 1/4||Red||Cut (1) 12" x 12" for hat base*|
|Fat 1/4||Blue||Cut (1) 3 1/2" x 8" hat band*
Cut (3) 6" x 4" for USA*
|1/2 yd||Backing fabric||Cut (1) 25" x 30"|
|25" x 30"||Batting|
|1/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (3) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 22" x 27"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 21"
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before cutting the shapes.
Piecing the Project:
- Search on the internet for a clip art image of Uncle Sam's Hat. Use eCAL2 to 'Trace' the image. Size to fit just within the 12" x 12" eclips cutting area.
- Use eCAL2 to 'Break Apart' the image and separate the details.
- Gather shapes together that will be cut using the same fabric colors (red, white and blue). To reduce bulk, keep the hat background shape whole, and place white strips on top instead of cutting both the red and white stripes.
- Turn the 'Layer' off of the shapes you will not be cutting. Use 'Preview' to ensure what will be cut.
- Place the red fabric right side down onto the Fabric Cutting Mat. Press firmly.
- Load the Fabric Cutting Mat, and cut when ready. If using scrap pieces, make sure to use 'Laser Cut Preview' to ensure you will cut the shape correctly.
- Cut. Pull shapes and leftover fabric off the Fabric Cutting Mat.
- Repeat for the blue and white shapes within the hat design. When cutting the blue letters, make sure to cut them in 'Mirror Image.'
- Assemble cut pieces according to the original shape onto the red hat shape.
- Heat fuse the assembled Uncle Sam's Hat onto the 22" x 27" white background.
- Stitch around each individual piece with the coordinating colored thread if desired.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew the binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold the binding in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.