|3 1/2 yd||White solid||Cut (13) 6 1/2" Squares|
Cut (48) 2 1/2" Squares
Cut (4) 1 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for inner border
Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF for binding
|(13) Fat 1/8||Assorted prints||Cut (1) 5" Square* from each fat 1/8|
Sub-cut (1) Teddy Bear from the pre-fused fabric
Cut (4) 2" Half-Square Triangles from each fat 1/8
Cut (4) 2 1/2" Squares from each fat 1/8
Cut (8) 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" Rectangles from each fat 1/8
|1 yd||Backing fabric|
|40" x 40"||Batting|
|1 package||Lightweight fusible adhesive|
- Finished Size: 38 1/2" x 38 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- * = Adhere fusible adhesive to back of fabric before die-cutting the shapes.
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Project:
- Heat fuse one Teddy Bear to each 6 1/2" white Square. Stitch around each bear. Make 13 Teddy Bear blocks.
- Sew one 2" Half-Square Triangle (of the same color Teddy Bear) to each corner of the Teddy Bear block. Repeat for each Teddy Bear block. Set aside.
- Make a nine-patch block, using five different color 2 1/2" Squares and four white 2 1/2" Squares. Refer to photo. Make 12 nine-patch blocks.
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, lay out the Teddy Bear and nine-patch blocks on a design wall or the floor. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing.
- When pleased with the arrangement, sew the blocks into rows.
- Sew the rows together. Press.
- Measure the width of the quilt top. Cut two white 1 1/2" Strips the same length. Sew the white Strips to the top and bottom of the quilt to form the inner border.
- Measure the quilt top from top to bottom, including the borders. Cut two white 1 1/2" Strips to this length. Sew the white Strip to the sides of the quilt top to complete the inner border. Press.
- In a random color order, sew 16 Rectangles together along their 4 1/2" sides. Repeat. Sew each striped strip to each side of quilt.
- In a random color order, sew 20 Rectangles together along their 4 1/2" sides. Repeat. Sew each striped strip to the top and bottom of the quilt.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.