Sunburst Wall Hanging
For a colorful burst, combine Half-Square Triangles to form this truly sparkling star quilt. It stylishly enhances any couch or bed and can be made into a whimsical pillow too!
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|(8) Fat 1/8||Orange prints||Cut (100) 2 1/2" Half-Square Triangles|
|(4) Fat 1/4||Gray prints||Cut (100) 2 1/2" Half-Square Triangles|
|1/4 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|2/3 yd||Backing fabric|
|24" x 24"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 20" x 20"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- Fat 1/4 = approximately 18" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Project:
- Using the quilt image as a guide, arrange the Half-Square Triangles in rows, 10 across by 10 down.
- Sew a pair of gray and orange Half-Square Triangles, right sides together, along the diagonal seam to form a square. Press. Repeat until all Half-Square Triangles are sewn together to form squares.
- Sew the squares together to form rows.
- Sew the rows together. Press.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.