Field of Stars Quilt
Celebrate every shade of spring with this Field of Stars Quilt. Sizzix quilting and appliqué designs empower your creativity with precise fabric cuts for easy and fun creations.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|(40) Fat 1/8||Assorted prints||Cut (15) 6 1/2" Squares|
Cut (60) 3 1/2" H x 6 1/2" W Triangles for inner stars
Cut (120) 3 1/2" H x 6 1/2" W Triangles for star points
|2 yd||White print||Cut (60) 3 1/2" H x 6 1/2" W Triangles for star blocks|
Cut (60) 6 1/2" Half-Square Triangles
|1 yd||Brown gingham print||Cut (30) 6 1/2" Half-Square Triangles|
|1/2 yd||Brown floral print||Cut (15) 6 1/2" Half-Square Triangles|
|1/2 yd||Brown polka dot||Cut (15) 6 1/2" Half-Square Triangles|
|2 yd||Floral print||Cut (7) 6 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|6 yd||Backing fabric|
|72" x 106"||Batting|
|3/4 yd||Binding||Cut (8) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
- Finished Size: 66" x 100"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- Using the quilt photo as a guide, lay out the entire quilt on a design wall or the floor. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing.
- Sew together four 3 1/2" H x 6 1/2" W Triangles together to form a 6 1/2" quarter-square triangle block. Press. Repeat until all 3 1/2" H x 6 1/2" W Triangles are sewn together. Return each finished block back into the layout.
- Sew a pair of cream and brown 6 1/2" Half-Square Triangles along the diagonal seam to form a 6 1/2" square block. Press. Repeat until all 6 1/2" Half-Square Triangles are sewn together. Return each finished block back into the layout.
- Sew blocks together into rows. Press the seams in alternate directions to keep the bulk down at the points.
- Sew the rows together until you have completed the top. Again, press the seams in alternate directions.
- Measure from the top to the bottom of the quilt top. Use this measurement to cut 6 1/2" wide side borders. Piece the two strips together to make the strip long enough. Sew side borders in place. Press.
- Measure from the left side to the right side of the quit top. Use this measurement to cut the 6 1/2" wide top and bottom borders. Piece two strips together to make the strip long enough. Sew top and bottom borders onto the quilt. Press.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew binding strips together to form one long strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.