Curved Braid Quilt
No need to fear curves. These large Sizzix shapes feature simple shallow curves that are a dream to sew.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|1 yd||Bright orange solid||Cut (20) Curved Braids|
|(4) 1/3 yd||Lighter orange prints||Cut (2) left Curved Braids* from each print|
Cut (3) right Curved Braids* from each print
|2/3 yd||Navy bubbles print||Cut (4) left Curved Braids*|
Cut (4) right Curved Braids*
|(3) 1/3 yd||Bright blue solids||Cut (2) Curved Braids* from a light blue print|
Cut (2) Curved Braids* from another light blue print
Cut (6) right Curved Braids* from the darker blue print
|(4) 1/3 yd||Bright blue prints||Cut (7) pairs of left and right Curved Braids|
|1 1/2 yd||Backing fabric|
|40" x 50"||Batting|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
- Finished Size: 34" x 44"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- * = Note direction of Curved Braid piece needed; refer to photo. Place right side of fabric DOWN on die for left curved pieces and UP for right curved pieces.
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- Arrange pieces as desired, using the photo as a guide. Use full pieces for top and bottom edges. These will be trimmed straight after sewing.
- Curved Braid pieces are all the same, but are sewn in columns of either left curves or right curves. Starting with the two bottom pieces of the first left-curve column, place right sides together along the curved edge and match the notches, placing a pin at this point. Align the beginning and end of this seam as well, placing pins to hold in place. With the concave curve on top, sew this curved seam; pause every few stitches to readjust fabric, keeping raw edges together as you go. See Diagram A. Press seam allowances toward top of quilt. Sides of pieces should align to create a straight line.
- Repeat step 2 with the next two Curved Braid pieces in that column. Continue sewing pieces together in pairs, then sew pairs together, etc. until you complete the first left-curve column.
- In the same way, sew the next right-curve column. See Diagram B. Press these seam allowances toward bottom of quilt.
- Continue sewing all columns.
- Sew columns together, pinning at each intersection to match points. Press seams open to reduce bulk.
- Trim top and bottom edge of quilt top straight across, squaring with sides of quilt. See Diagram C.
- Layer the backing (right side facing down), batting and pieced top (right side facing up). Bottom layers will extend about 3" on all four edges of quilt top.
- Baste to hold layers in place and quilt as desired.
- Trim all four edges even with the quilt top. Sew binding strips together to form one continuous piece. Fold in half lengthwise and press.
- Sew around quilt with binding in the front, matching raw edges of binding with edge of quilt. Fold binding over edge, hand sewing folded edge to back of quilt.
- Figure A
- Figure B
- Figure C