Signature Block Quilt
Here's a homemade favorite! Sew a light colored center piece and sign the center of each block as generations have done before. For a completely different look, sew a bold print as the center piece. The die comes with two sizes of Half-Square Triangles for must-have versatility.
|1 3/4 yd||White solid||Cut (72) small triangles|
Cut (36) large pointed rectangles
|(36) 9" x 9"||Assorted prints|
(4 different prints in each color)
|Cut (6) small triangles from each print|
|1 1/4 yd||Backing fabric|
|42" x 42"||Batting|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (4) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
- Finished Size: 36" x 36"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- Sew a white small triangle to a print small triangle, right sides together along the long edge, forming a half-square triangle.
- Sew a print small triangle to each side of this unit, as shown, creating a large triangle. See Diagram A.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make another identical unit.
- Assemble the block. Sew the long side of one large triangle unit to the side of a large pointed rectangle. Sew the other triangle unit to the opposite side of the large pointed rectangle. See Diagram B. Make 36 blocks. Have each block signed in the center on the long white diagonal piece. Remind signers to keep writing inside the 1/4" seam allowance.
- Sew each set of four similar-colored blocks together in sets of four, placing a pin at each intersection to match corners and seams. See Diagram C.
- Arrange these four-block units for the desired layout, using the photo as a reference. Then sew together in rows, and sew rows together, placing a pin at each intersection to match corners and seams.
- Layer the backing (right side facing down), batting and pieced top (right side facing up). Bottom layers will extend about 3" on all four edges of quilt top.
- Baste to hold layers in place, and quilt as desired.
- Trim all four edges even with the quilt top. Sew binding strips together to form one continuous piece. Fold in half lengthwise and press.
- Sew around quilt with binding in the front, matching raw edges of binding with edge of quilt. Fold binding over edge, hand sewing folded edge to back of quilt.
- Figure A
- Figure B
- Figure C