Piece together the prettiest possibilities! This beautiful project brings together all the elements of style and classic design with a colorful identity of its own.
Theme: Quilting & Patchwork
|1 1/4 yd total scraps||Twist bright prints*||Cut (1) triangle and (1) trapezoid|
|1 1/4 yd total scraps||Twist dark prints*||Cut (1) triangle and (1) trapezoid|
|1 1/2 yd total scraps||Pastel backgrounds*||Cut (2) triangles and (2) parallelograms|
(Be sure to note the direction needed of the parallelogram slant.)
|1 1/2 yd||Backing fabric|
|42" x 46"||Batting|
|1/2 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
- Finished Size: 36" x 40"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- * = For each block: Choose a pastel background, a bright print for the top of the Twist, and a dark print for the bottom of the Twist. Make sure there is good contrast between all three fabrics.
Piecing the Quilt Top:
- Construct Twist block: With right sides together, sew a background triangle to the bright print triangle. Press seam allowance away from background. See Diagram A. Repeat, sewing the other background triangle to the dark print triangle.
- With right sides together, sew a background parallelogram to the bright print trapezoid. Align at dog-eared corners. See Diagram B. Press seam allowances away from background. In the same way, sew the other background parallelogram to the dark print trapezoid.
- Sew the bright print triangle unit to the dark print trapezoid unit as shown. The center seams should intersect at the 1/4" seam line. Place a pin to match. See Diagram C. Press seam open.
- Sew the dark print triangle unit to the dark print trapezoid unit as shown. The center seams should intersect at the 1/4" seam line. Place a pin to match. See Diagram D. Press seam open.
- Pin the two halves together, aligning and pinning at the center points. There are no seams to match, but be careful not to stretch this long diagonal seam. See Diagram E. Press seam open. Make 20 blocks.
- Assemble the blocks: Arrange blocks using the quilt diagram as a reference.
- Sew blocks together, pinning at intersections to line up corners.
- Layer the backing (right side facing down), batting and pieced top (right side facing up). Bottom layers will extend about 3" on all four edges of quilt top.
- Baste to hold layers in place, and quilt as desired.
- Trim all four edges even with the quilt top. Sew binding strips together to form one continuous piece. Fold in half lengthwise and press.
- Sew around quilt with binding in the front, matching raw edges of binding with edge of quilt. Fold binding over edge, hand sewing folded edge to back of quilt.
- Figure A
- Figure B
- Figure C
- Figure D
- Figure E