Strawberry Fields Pillow
It's back to the basics with geometric shapes. These Quarter-Square Triangles sew together easily for a pioneering pattern.
|7" Square||Red print||Cut (1) 6 1/2" Square|
|Fat 1/8||White with small red flowers||Cut (4) 3 1/2" H x 6 1/2" W Triangles|
|Fat 1/8||Red with large flowers||Cut (8) 3 1/2" H x 6 1/2" W Triangles|
|Fat 1/8||White print||Cut (4) 3 1/2" H x 6 1/2" W Triangles|
Cut (4) 6 1/2" Half-Square Triangles
|Fat 1/8||Brown with white polka dots||Cut (4) 6 1/2" Half-Square Triangles|
|3/4 yd||Floral print||Cut (2) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
Cut (1) 19" square for the pillow back
|20" x 20"||Batting|
|1 bag||Polyester fiberfill|
- Finished Size: 18" x 18"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
Assembling the Pillow Top:
- Using the photo as a guide, lay out the pillow top on a design wall or the floor. This will make it easier to keep track of piecing.
- Sew a pair of quarter square triangles together, right sides together. Sew those pairs together matching the center seams to form a square. Press. Repeat with three remaining sets of quarter-square triangles. Return blocks to the layout.
- Sew a pair of cream and brown polka-dot Half-Square Triangles, right sides together, along the diagonal seam to form a square. Press towards the darker color. Repeat until all Half-Square Triangles are sewn together to form squares. Return blocks to the layout.
- Sew the blocks together into rows. Press the seams in alternate directions to reduce the bulk at the points.
- Sew the rows together until you have completed the pillow top. Again, press the seams in alternate directions.
Making the Piping:
- Stitch the 2 1/2" ends together of the floral print Strips.
- Place the piping down the middle of the Strip and fold over, lining up the edges.
- With a zipper foot, baste close to the cording.
- Baste stitch the piping along the perimeter of the pillow front.
- Layer the pillow top and pillow back, right sides together. Pin and sew with 1/2" seam allowance, leaving an opening approximately 4" long to stuff.
- Clip excess fabric in the corners on the diagonal. Turn right side out, stuff the pillow to desired loft and whipstitch closed.