Ring Around the Rosie Quilt
This quilt really is a pocket full of posies! Let beautiful floral fabrics inspire your creativity with this colorful geometric pattern. With Sizzix Bigz dies, cutting the shapes you need is always easy and precise!
|1 yd||Ivory||Cut (32) Hexagons |
Cut (42) Half-Hexagons
|(9) Fat 1/8||Blue||Cut (84) Half-Hexagons|
Cut (4) Hexagons
|(9) Fat 1/8||Pink||Cut (63) Half-Hexagons|
Cut (4) Hexagons
|(9) Fat 1/8||Gold||Cut (63) Half-Hexagons|
Cut (6) Hexagons
|3/8 yd||Binding fabric||Cut (5) 2 1/2" wide Strips x WOF|
|1 1/2 yd||Backing fabric|
|43" x 46"||Batting|
- Finished Size: 39" x 42"
- All seam allowances are 1/4" unless noted.
- Fat 1/8 = approximately 9" x 22"
- WOF = width of fabric
Piecing the Quilt:
- Mark a dot at 1/4" on the back side in each corner of each Hexagon and Half-Hexagon.
- For each Hexagon block, sew six Half-Hexagons to the sides of the center Hexagon starting and stopping at the marked 1/4" dot.
- Sew Half-Hexagon sides together starting and stopping at the 1/4" dot.
- Make 14 white Hexagon centers with blue Half-Hexagon side units. Make three blue Hexagon centers with white Half-Hexagon sides. Make nine white Hexagon centers with pink Half-Hexagon sides. Make four pink center Hexagons with white Half-Hexagons sides. Make nine white Hexagon centers with gold Half-Hexagon sides. Make six gold Hexagon centers with white Half-Hexagon sides.
- Sew one white Half-Hexagon to three pink Half-Hexagon sides starting and stopping at the 1/4" dot. Make three half units.
- Sew one white Half-Hexagon to three gold Half-Hexagon sides starting and stopping at the 1/4" dot. Make three half units.
- As shown in the photo, arrange Hexagon units in rows. Make four blue/white rows and three pink/gold rows. Fill in the top of pink/gold rows with half units.
- For each blue/white side edge unit, stitch a white Half-Hexagon on the 4 1/2" side to the matching 4 1/2" side. After quilting, the side edges will be trimmed off.
- Stitch rows together starting and stopping at the 1/4" dot.
- Stitch each blue/white row to each pink/gold row starting and stopping at the 1/4" dots.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt by hand or machine, as desired.
- Sew the binding Strips together to form one long Strip. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise, and press.
- With a 1/4" seam, sew the raw edges of the binding to the edges of the right side of the quilt. Turn the folded edge of the binding to the back side of the quilt, and stitch in place by hand, mitering the corners.